Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak

I felt that my blog was getting a little too carb heavy (not shocking to those who know me), so I decided it was about time to post some protein.  I could not think of a better steak recipe to share with you.  This recipe is so simple, even my two brothers could make it! Although I'm sure they won't (but they should!).  It is crazy delicious AND makes an amazing sandwich with the leftovers.  So unless you don't eat red meat, I cannot see any reason why you should not go out and get the ingredients to make this right now!





My family is used to my standard teriyaki marinated flank steak.  Which is also amazingly delicious, but was getting a little tired and requires brand name bottled products.  This recipe uses only the simplest ingredients you can find anywhere and has a more subtle flavor.  

I stole the idea from Nugget Markets here in Davis.  They make this flank steak, which they sell in the deli (like whole foods) and also use it in one of their amazing sandwiches.  I found myself eating this sandwich at least two, if not three days a week! So I decided it was time to make it myself and stop shelling out $8 every meal.  I also attempted to make my own ciabatta, which was not a complete failure, but still is not at sandwich level yet.

Once I have breads mastered, I think I will be set for life. Until then, here is some steak:

Balsamic Marinated Flank Steak (can serve 2-4 depending who is eating)

1 Flank steak (1-1.5 pounds)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 large sprig of rosemary
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Step 1:
Place the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a bowl and whisk to combine. 

Step 2:
Remove the rosemary needles from the sprig and add to the oil & vinegar mixture along with the garlic.

Apparently balsamic vinegar and olive oil make a very easy and stable emulsion. Fabulous!




Step 3:
Coat the flank steak with the marinade and let sit at least 30 minutes (or leave it for a few hours for a more intense flavor). 

Hands are the best tools here for coating the steak thoroughly.  Use a shallow pan for more even marinating [the bowl method is not the best].




Step 4:
Heat a grill pan, frying pan, or a grill to medium high heat and cook the flank steak for 5-6 minutes on each side (for medium rare) or 6-7 minutes on each side (for medium).





I like to use the finger test method to check the doneness of my meat.

Step 5:
Remove from heat and allow cooked steak to rest for about 5 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain.  Enjoy as is or read on for a yummy sandwich option!






Flank Steak Sandwiches (Serves 2)

1/2 Sliced flank steak (from recipe above)
1/8-1/4 cup Gorgonzola or goat cheese (Guy likes goat, but I think the gorgonzola is better)
Bread of your choice (Ciabatta is amazing here)
Olive oil
Mayonnaise (optional)
Garlic Herb mixture: 
     2 cloves garlic, minced
     1/4 cup flat leaf Italian parsley, minced
     1/4 cup cilantro, minced
     1 teaspoon kosher salt
     2 teaspoons olive oil

Step 1:
Mix all of the ingredients for the herb mixture in a small bowl.





Step 2:
On one slice of bread spread a small amount of mayonnaise, on the other slice drizzle about a teaspoon of olive oil.


Step 3:
Place half of the herb mixture on one side of the bread (either is fine).





Step 4:
Place the sliced flank steak on the bread, then top with cheese.





Step 5:
Close the sandwich and microwave on high for about 1 minute to melt the cheese a bit.  If you have a panini press or something of the sort it would work wonderfully as well.

Step 6:
Slice in half and enjoy!

Options:
Fell free to use any cheese or herbs you like.  These just happen to mix really well together.  You can also add arugula to your sandwich either before or after heating for some extra yumminess [I simply did not have any on hand, but if I did I would add it!]



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. this looks ammmmmmmazing!! i don't even eat steak (okay maybe once a year) but WOW i would eat this!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...